Friday, November 5, 2010

Gratitude

I have a few friends who are taking this time in November to memorialize something in their life that they are thankful for each day. I LOVE the idea, but am tired at just the thought of doing it each day this month, so I thought I would jot some things down now.

My Mark - I am so lucky to have such a cool, smart, funny individual that wanted to spend his life with me. He is a great example of the type of person I would like to be and who I hope our children will model themselves after. His feathers don't get ruffled easily and he is super patient. Sometimes, these two characteristics madden me when I want him to react like a lunatic about something (ahem, like how I am reacting perhaps) and always appreciate it after the fact when he didn't. I appreciate all the additional work he has had on his plate recently to get ready for this new baby, not to mention helping take care of Finn AND me while I am swollen, grouchy, and rotund.

My Finn - Terrible two's have hit the Barry household like a whiny, crying, stubborn tornado. And yet, I am still ridiculously thankful for our little boy. His language and comprehension skills amaze me every single day (for example, he made me laugh on purpose yesterday while we were driving home and then had to announce "I'm funny!") and I sometimes just find myself staring at him in amazement and disbelief that I can take 1/2 the credit for creating him. There are definitely times when he tries my extremely limited amount of patience, but each morning I can't wait to see that little face and hang out with him once again.

My Family - There are too many people to list everyone by name here, but I am soooo thankful for my family, both immediate and extended members. I am especially grateful for my Dad's upcoming visit to watch Finn for us while we are having this new baby and adore the relationship that they have, even though we are far away. And I am extremely grateful and looking forward to my sister's visit as well (not to mention her previous weeklong stay with us when Finn was born.) I laughed quite hard during that week, which is not an easy feat with a c-section incision, and will always be so thankful for her coming to stay with us while she left her own family behind for the week. My Dad is the epitomy of selflessness and he definitely passed that onto my sister. And, what did I get from him??? - His nose! :)

The one thing I wish for is that my Mom would have been able to meet my two incredible boys that I have in my life, as well as the new baby that will be joining us in the end of the month. I know she would have loved Mark and would not have been able to get enough of Finn (and her adorable Granddaughter Amber too!) For that I am sad and probably always will be, but the silver lining is that I got to have her for as long as I did and I know that I have witnessed her personality shine through on occasion in Finn.

I am looking forward to this season of giving Thanks and hope to be able to appropriately show my gratitude for all the blessings that have been bestowed upon me. These, of course, are not the only things I am grateful for and will hopefully be able to post more soon.

~ Courtney

1 comment:

Lindz said...

I love this Courtney! What a sweet post! How sweet for you that you get to see your mom shine through in Finn's personality! I am sure she is always watching over you guys with a huge smile on her face!! :)